The client is a farm-to-fork company having its own breeding farms, hatcheries, cold chain logistics, 100+ fresh meat retail outlets & fried-chicken quick service restaurants. The client wanted to conduct consumer as well as competition research in order to address the gaps in the existing strategy before planning for a Pan India retail expansion.
The client wanted to address various business problems like:
- How to generate revenue in non-peak hours
- What is an adequate size of store
- Impact of retailing fish along with meat in Fresh meat outlets
- Feasibility of Marinated & packaged meat retailing
- Segmenting & Profiling target consumer visiting the outlets
- Mapping competition best practices
- A thorough secondary research was conducted to segregate restaurants based on type – quick-service/fine-dine/cafe/lounges, cuisine & cost and fresh meat outlets based on their product assortment, outlet type – organized vs unorganized to identify most relevant competition.
- Competition research was conducted with restaurant managers of relevant competition restaurants & fresh meat retail outlets.
- Consumer research was conducted as a part of exit interviews outside client as well as competition restaurants’ and fresh meat stores.
The research assessed best practices across industry players and provided areas of improvement in existing retail set ups of client. The research also helped provide strategic insights on:
- Core consumer segment
- Product strategy
- Pricing strategy
- Restaurant sizing
- People & processes
- Branding & promotion