Flipkart launched seller financing program in mid-2015 to help sellers grow fast, eventually boosting sales of the online marketplace. Flipkart negotiate with banks and other financial services firms to get favorable terms for their third-party merchants and connect high-performing and fast-growing sellers on its platform to financial institutions to help these small businesses get capital to grow their businesses.
More than 2 years into the programme, Flipkart wanted to conduct a research to understand the finance availing behavior, satisfaction levels & future loan preference of sellers.
A holistic approach was charted out for the research as follows:
- Minimum revenue capping on Flipkart in order to choose right sellers for the survey
- Segmenting the sellers based on categories of products sold
- Segmenting the sellers based on value of loan availed
The research provided relevant insights around:
- Occasions of availing credit assistance
- Type of loan product availed – amount, tenure, interest rate, collateral-based etc.
- Choice of channel & player from whom loan availed
- Perception, past loan history & preference for Flipkart Finance
- Modelling the ideal loan product for various categories of sellers