First impressions matter more than ever. Exterior signages play a pivotal role in the success of a retail business by increasing visibility and attracting potential customers. A well-maintained and eye-catching signage can make all the difference in a highly competitive market. Just like any other strategic asset, signages require periodic maintenance to ensure they remain effective in serving their purpose. In this blog post, we will delve into the importance of signage maintenance and explore various methods and signs that can help retail businesses keep their outdoor signages in pristine condition.
Exterior signages are like assets or fixtures for retail establishments. Neglecting their maintenance can not only lead to a poor brand image but also result in decreased footfall and potential sales. Regular maintenance ensures that the signages remain in top-notch condition, enhancing their visibility and appeal to customers. It also demonstrates the retailer's commitment to professionalism and attention to detail, reinforcing customer trust and loyalty.
Different types of Signages and their Maintenance needs:
Various types of signages are available in the market, each with its unique maintenance requirements. Understanding the specific maintenance needs of different signages is crucial for ensuring their longevity and effectiveness.
- ACP Signage: ACP (Aluminum Composite Panel) signages may require periodic cleaning to remove dirt and grime that accumulates over time.
- Glow Sign Board: Regular inspection and maintenance of electrical components and lights are essential to ensure the glow sign board remains bright and visible.
- Backlit Signages: Proper care of electrical equipment, including the light source and power supply, is vital for the optimal functioning of backlit signages.
- Non-Lit Boards: Non-lit signages, such as flex boards, might not require cleaning but may need occasional media replacement to keep the messaging fresh and vibrant.
Methods of Signage Maintenance:
- All Electrical Equipment Maintenance: Regular inspection and upkeep of electrical components, including switches, adapters, and power supply, ensure uninterrupted functionality.
- Flex/Vinyl Change: For non-lit signages, timely replacement of flex or vinyl material is necessary to maintain their visual appeal.
- Hardware Maintenance: Inspecting and maintaining the iron frames, angles, and joints is crucial to prevent rusting and breakage.
- Acrylic Letter Repair/Replacement: Broken or damaged acrylic letters should be promptly repaired or replaced to preserve the signage's legibility and attractiveness.
- New ACP/GSB Signage Replacement: In case of severe damage or wear, considering the replacement of an ACP or Glow Sign Board signage may be more cost-effective than extensive repairs.
- Cleaning: Regular cleaning of the signages is essential to remove dirt, dust, and grime, ensuring they remain visually appealing.
Signs Indicating the Need for Signage Maintenance:
To determine when signage requires maintenance, keep an eye out for the following signs:
- Flickering Lights or No Illumination: If the signage's lights are flickering, partially lit, or not working at all, it's a clear indication that maintenance is needed.
- Faded or Discoloured Vinyl: Signages losing their shine due to faded or discolored vinyl indicate the need for replacement or cleaning.
- Cracked, Peeled, or Torn Vinyl Stickers: Damaged vinyl stickers should be promptly replaced to maintain the signage's integrity.
- Rusted Angles and Iron Frame: Rusty or broken iron frames and angles can affect the stability and appearance of the signage.
- Broken/Damaged Acrylic Letters: Any damage to acrylic letters should be addressed promptly to ensure clear messaging.
- Dirty & Untidy Signages: Regular cleaning is essential to keep signages looking fresh and inviting.
Remember, a well-maintained signage is not just a reflection of your store but also an invitation to customers, beckoning them to explore all that your retail business has to offer.
Signage in the retail industry serves as a visual guide, providing essential information about a store, office, or mall to customers and offering brief details about the retail outlet where it is located. There are various types of signage available in the market, such as ACP, Acrylic over ACP, and Flex, which can be front lit or back lit.
Consider the scenario three years ago when only a few people could identify the product offerings of Vivo and Oppo. However, now, due to their aggressive marketing strategy with signage deployment, most of us are aware that they are handset manufacturers present in the Indian retail market.
The importance of signage in the retail industry can be highlighted through its various benefits:
- Awareness: Signage helps customers search for retail outlets to find the products they wish to buy. In malls with multiple shops, the absence of signage would make it troublesome for customers to locate specific stores.
- Increased Walk-ins: Signage generates foot traffic to stores by guiding and attracting customers.
- Medium of Communication: It acts as a medium of indirect communication between retailers and passersby, providing brief information about the products or services they offer.
- Brand Recall: Effective signage deployment contributes to strong brand recall. Vivo and Oppo are examples of brands with widespread recognition due to their signage presence across India.
Top Tips for Effective Signage Maintenance and Installation – Dos and Don’ts
When it comes to installing signage for your retail outlet, making the right choices can significantly impact its success. Here are some essential do's and don'ts to consider before proceeding with the installation:
- Wise Selection: The type of signage to be installed should be chosen based on factors such as the type of market (Metro/Tier1/Tier2) and the type of retail outlet (A/B/C). ROI should also be taken into account during the decision-making process.
- Positioning: Signage should be strategically placed to avoid obstructing the store's entrance and to be visible as a hotspot for the retail outlet.
- Clutter-Free: Signage should present information in a clear and concise manner without overwhelming viewers with excessive details.
- Weather-Resistant: The materials used in the production of signage should be capable of withstanding normal weather conditions.
- Approval and Compliance: Advance approval for signage placement should be obtained, as local government authorities might resist installation due to potential road transport blockages caused by scaffolding during placement. Signage should also comply with safety and hazard measures set by local governments.
By adhering to these installation do's and don'ts, you can optimize the impact of your signage, attract more customers, and create a positive and lasting impression of your retail outlet. Remember, thoughtful and well-executed signage can be a powerful marketing tool that sets your business apart from the competition.