Today consumers are becoming more selective in their approach of choosing a store to visit. With intense competition in every segment giving rise to increased number of brands & hence retail stores, consumers tend to visit stores which gives them a positive impression that their need would be fulfilled. Hence, it has become extremely important for brands to display or present their products in the smartest of ways.
All brands set different types of product display guidelines in order to increase footfalls, create a difference in customer’s mind and to position their brand/products well. There are some product display guidelines which the brands follow frequently:
- Arranging the products neatly and keeping the aisles & store clutter-free
- Placing the products in a manner that they are accessible to the consumer
- Arranging all categories of products in distinctive sections
- Showcasing focused/new products upfront
- Placing Price & Feature specification cards with every demo product, making them serve as silent salesmen
- Alignment of back wall branding should go along with product on display
- Motive shouldn’t be to keep all the products in display but to display less and relevant products
- Window display should be simple, relevant, and done in such a way which reflects the mix of product range available in the store.
Brands are coming up with their own methodology for product placement to engage customers’ attention in order to influence their purchasing decision. Like in Electronics category, products are switched on and placed for consumers to use & test them in order to fast-pace the buying decision.
In Home & Living stores, retailers make the whole set up of a bed-room where they place their different products like Furniture, bed linen, curtain, wall décor, side lamp, vase & flowers which in turn induces customers to imagine their living space and buy more items than they planned for.
In Food Service segment, restaurants position themselves by showcasing their ingredients which go into their food like placing authentic ingredients like flour, bread, cheese etc. on display. This creates a positive impression on consumers’ mind and hence increase their acceptance for that particular restaurant, might induce repeat purchase as well.
Likewise for different retail segments, brands which are creating distinctive image in consumers’ mind by showcasing their product in an attractive and efficient manner are gaining competitive edge by attracting better footfalls.